[VAC] Re: Vintage haulers and unleaded fuel

         As I understand it, the lead additive (tetraethyl lead) was an
inexpensive way to improve the knocking qualities of the fuel, i.e. an
effective increase in 'octane' rating.  Getting the lead out of the gas is
simply a matter of not putting it in, as it was an additive.  The expense
associated with unleaded gas, aside from the current 'summer blends' we use
here in Atlanta, is is attaining the equivalent octane rating without the
lead.  So, I don't think your friend is correct.  Besides, IMHO, things are
never that simple and clear cut.

- Dick
(5368)