[VAC] Re: Black Tank

Bobby,

I commend you for publicly acknowledging your mistake and discussing it on-list with the rest of us.  You know the old adage I'm sure, "the only way to avoid making mistakes is to avoid doing anything."  It works for me.

To Jim Greene, I think it is likely that Bobby's tank will fit your left side rear drain trailer.  I emphasize the likely part, only measurements will tell for sure.

Bobby, I can tell you a source of a suitable tank, very inexpensive and affordable, but now I have to confide on-list, my own mistake.  I bought a generic RV tank, rectangular in shape, that fits between the frame rails and between frame crossmembers of my '66 Safari.  Unfortunately, it is proving to be somewhat difficult to plumb.  You may have already discovered, the original tank had a large notch across the center rear of the tank, approximately 12" wide by about 6" deep.  Within this recessed area, Airstream originally attached the dump valve AND, THE GRAY WATER LINE ATTACHMENT DOWNSTREAM OF THE DUMP VALVE.  The emphasis expresses my current difficulty.  I was not able to locate a direct replacement at a price I was willing to pay, so opted for a generic tank.  I have had the tank cover built, cut the angle iron supports, test fit the tank, cut the topside toilet drain opening and left-side vent opening to fit, installed the flanges on both openings, the tank is ready to be permanently installed but my hangup is squeezing the dump valve plumbing and gray water line connection in between the rear of the tank and the bumper.  It can be done, but I have shortened the drain neck on the tank as far as I dare, and modified the drain line connection fittings as much as I dare, and I can just barely squeeze the plumbing in leaving sufficient room to attach the sewer hose fitting to the end of the sewer line.  Another possible solution would be to simply create a plug cap with male garden hose connections to attach to the gray water line that will accommodate a short piece of old garden hose.   That way, I could leave the gray water line separate from the black water tank and dump cap and connection, and simply hook up an old garden hose and drain the gray water on the grass or ground through a separate connection.

If you want to subject yourself to the challenge I am currently working on, e-mail me off-list and I will provide a source for a tank.

Harvey Barlow