[VAC] Re: external/internal paint removal

>I stripped all the old paint off the exterior of a '60's Cardinal TT using
>that orange BIX stripper... most of the paint came right off the aluminum
>with a single application. For the top, i ran the more liquid version
>through a wagner paint-sprayer, and once the stripper had done its work,
>just hosed it all off with a garden hose. It's supposed to be pretty
>eco-friendly, in that the water neutralizes it...  For the paint on the
>sides, especially where there was primer under the logo, i used the paste
>version of Bix... took a couple of applications to get down through the
>primer stuff... but it does work, and you don't need to get after it with
>anything abrasive that would scuff the aluminum.
>
>I've got the same deal on the Trailwind - someone had painted over the
>interior zolotone with white paint... i had some leftover BIX in a spray
>bottle, and squirted it onto a couple of places, and it worked just great.
>I'm going to strip the interior down to the aluminum, and polish it lightly
>before i put the whole thing back together... when i've got the Airstream
>interior done, I'll see if i can stand it - if not, i'll do an original
>zolotone finish...

This all sounds fairly straightforward. Almost too easy. I could
probably have this done by the end of the week if I could find a
paint sprayer, which makes me pretty happy.

>Anyone had any luck finding any lightweight floor material?

We're investigating that now. Once I removed the front storage area
today I realized that the floor is water damaged where the power
outlet is and the pipe frame's upside down u-bolt mounts to the metal
plate that caps the floor. That means that I am going to now at least
replace the flooring from the door forward. If I can find some space
age ultralight flooring, I'm gonna rip all the flooring out and
replace it all and while I'm at it replace the insulation below that.

>As for the panel/skin repair - check this out:
>
>http://www.tinmantech.com/html/kent_white.html
>
>He travels around doing trainings and such - I'm thinking of having him come
>over the hill here to Reno and do a workshop, if i can line up some other
>students...

I'll call him and find out if he can perform the panel replacement
for me. I hope it's not too small a job.

The person I'm working with to do the restoration just came back from
a workshop up in the gold country and I am fairly sure that it was at
his place. She's psyched to design and fabricate 100% of the interior
herself. Since she's a metalworker and an artist, it's going to be
something really special.

Later this week she begins construction of her English wheel which
will allow her to form custom curved aluminum parts for our project.
I believe that the plans came from this guy, too.

I'll keep you all posted if you're interested in our progress.

wayne