[VAC] Correct Measurement of Tongue/Hitch Weight

Just curious while this conversation goes on -- how would one measure tongue
weight when you're not towing the vehicle to either a commercial scale to
find out the GVCW?  I would be interested to find a method of doing that.

We have a '74 Trade Wind (5,800 lbs) that we originally planned to two with
a 6-cyl Cherokee.  The previous owner was nice enough to drop it off for us
as we didn't have a pigtail.  On our first outing we didn't get around the
Washington, DC beltway to the exit without having overheated twice, and
three more times before getting it to the destination.  We ended up trading
the Cherokee in on a '99 Durango that does a marvelous job.  I've always
been curious though about how to determine the hitch weight.

Thanks for your input.

Harley C. Muse/John D. Gilliland
WBCCI #7566, Washington DC Unit
'74 Trade Wind/'99 Dodge Durango