[VAC] Re: Bambi is a heavyweight

I'm not a mechanical engineer but here are some observations based on
pulling a 66 Safari with a Ford E-150 van.
I pulled the coach over the Siskiyou pass and down a very windy Hwy 5 with
a full 25 gallon water tank.  My tongue weight was over 400 pounds.  I had
Reese stabilizer bars, which really tightened up the whole package.

Like the Bambi the Safari has a single axle.  I put all my effects in boxes
on or slightly behind the rear axle and made sure that they were braced not
to come forward in the event of a sudden stop.  A single axle vehicle is
like a teeter totter..  When you put weight on the back side it reduces the
weight on the front and the tongue.

Theoretically you could produce zero tongue weight but that's not what
Airstream tongue weight.  Tongue weight provides stability against
sway.  If you have excess stuff that is heavy put it in your pulller.  It
is good to have a heavier puller (within reason) so the trailer doesn't wag
puller (tail wag the dog :)

Most important is that your brake controller is properly working and that
you get used to the right setting for a given terrrain.  I tend to add
power to the trailer brakes on downhill runs through curvy roads.  I
equalize braking power on freeways and high speed roads and put more
strength into the puller brakes on uphill stretches.

Hope this helps.
Bob