[VAC] Re: Transmission Oil Temp and Use of OD

The B&M gauge I bought told me to put the sending unit in the return line.
I purchased an add-on drain plug from my local auto parts store also. This
drain plug requires something like a 5/8 hole drilled in the transmission
pan. (I don't remember the size). There was a nylon washer on the inside of
the pan and a nylon washer and a nut on the outside of the pan. I didn't
have to thread anything,   ...just a simple hole. I tightened down the nut,
and I was done! No leaks. The sending unit for the gauge can screw into the
drain plug.  You have to be very careful if you put the sending unit and/or
drain plug in the transmission pan so you don't put it someplace that would
interfere with the workings inside the transmission. I'm guessing that's why
B&M suggested putting the sending unit in the return line. I found a good
spot for my drain plug. I could have put the gauge sending unit in the plug,
in fact, I had it there to try it out, but I went with the manufacturers
suggestion (in the return line). Incidentally, I got a warmer reading from
the return line than I got from the transmission pan.

Right now, I have my cooler hooked up to my engine radiator first, then it
goes through the auxiliary transmission cooler and then back to the
temperature sending unit. The sending unit it just outside the transmission
in the return line.  I get a normal reading of 160 degrees this way.

Last year, I was running the transmission fluid through the auxiliary
(add-on) transmission cooler only. I had bypassed the engine radiator
completely. My transmission fluid ran around 100 degrees up to around 150
degrees that way. Most of the time, it was around 100. It would go up to
about 200 if I was towing something up a hill. The auxiliary transmission
cooler manufacturer said to hook the aux. cooler AFTER the engine radiator.
After trying it with the engine radiator bypassed (because I had an
overheating problem and a mechanic told to do it) I can see why they
recommend putting it in series. The transmission runs at a more steady
temperature now that the fluid runs through the engine radiator. From what I
understand, a temperature of around 160 is just right for the operating
temperature of the transmission.

The world sure is full of different opinions, isn't it !?

MARC WEIMER
Punxsutawney, PA  -  Home of the Groundhog
#15767
1963 Globe Trotter
1971 Globe Trotter
http://users.penn.com/~mweimer/weimer.html