[VAC] Re: Questions on Uni-Volt

Mary,
 I stand corrected, my Airstream had a "power" light, but it was fed
from the 115VAC line, right at the control panel. If yours is to
indicate that you're connected to shore power, you should be able to
feed it from the 115VAC source at the UniVolt area.

I have an old "UniVolt V" laying around here and I just looked at it. It
has 4, 3AG size branch circuit fuses, one smaller fuse for the power
light, and 2 large fuses for "Trailer Battery +" and "Car Battery".
There's also a shunt in the "-" line that is for the ammeter in the
control panel.

If I were replacing one of these, I'd be tempted to remove that fuse
panel and mount it in some sort of enclosure and keep the connections
as-is. If I deemed it too much trouble to find an enclosure of some
sort, I'd replace it with a different style of aftermarket fuse panel.
You can get various-sized NEMA enclosures from electrical supply houses;
one of those might be just the ticket for mounting that old fuse panel,
using some sort of standoffs between the box and the fiber fuse panel.
Do use enough standoffs to support the panel against the pressure
required to insert/remove the fuses.

You'll like the modern converter/chargers like the Inteli-Power, they're
much smaller than the old UniVolt and weigh almost nothing; the I-P is
less than 5# and is rated at 40 or 45 amps. Best of all, they're silent,
no "Airstream buzz". <<grin>>

                                             <<Jim>>