[VAC] Re: Transmission Oil Temp

I just saw a really nice set-up in a motorhome that had little fans in front
of the transmission and the engine oil cooler.  It looks like I have big
enough radiators on my engine and my transmission now that I don't seem to
need that any more.  (It hasn't been 100 degrees in the shade yet, however)

I was talking to another VAC person a couple of years ago. He said he rigged
up a water bottle, a windshield washer pump, and a nozzle from an oil
furnace to create a water mist to spray at the radiator. He said it was
amazing how quick the gauges came down in temperature when he flipped the
switch on. The only problem with that set-up is that you have to keep
refilling the water bottle to keep it working. It seemed like a pretty good
idea, anyway.

With gas going up to $2 a gallon, I was considering using a very marginal
towing engine. The car is certainly well built (a 1968 full size Dodge
http://users.penn.com/~mweimer/polara.html   ) but the 318 engine has
marginal strength for pulling on hills (especially compared to my 440 engine
in my wagon). On the level it is great. Last summer it gave me the best gas
mileage I've ever had towing the trailer (over 12 MPG)   ...the nicest, most
comfortable ride too. The engine did not overheat (just got very warm!) but
the transmission did. The fluid was burned when I got home.

To improve the car, I adjusted the pressure regulator (in the transmission)
and I installed a transmission cooler.  I will have the engine radiator
thoroughly (professionally) cleaned and reconditioned. I was thinking about
installing an engine OIL cooler also to get some of the load off the water
radiator. The 318 engine seems to have enough power to move my Globe Trotter
and the Dodge looks really cool doing to job. A few upgrades to the car
should make it a good reliable tow car. I might find a little fan and a
switch like you said.

MARC WEIMER
Punxsutawney, PA  -  Home of the Groundhog
#15767
1963 Globe Trotter
1971 Globe Trotter
http://users.penn.com/~mweimer/weimer.html