[VAC] Re: Alumnium wheels

When I replaced my split rims for the '64 Safari, I didn't consider alum rims,
because the look wouldn't match. I thought I could go cheaper by salvaging
something existing. Not necessarily so:  I located 3  good chevy rims from a
local parts recycler, after measuring everything carefully, size, offset,
etc... I determined they would work. Price: $25 each. I got the two worst
looking ones Sandblasted, Price:$14;  Then I painted them with primer, and then
Aluminum spray paint from cans, price, about$10. Went to test fit a rim to hub,
center hole too small, needed to be machined from 3.540" out to 3.675", price
$20 each. All was ready for the tires, so I paid to have them mounted &
balanced, price: about $15.
So after about $120, I have safer one piece rims, but my hubcaps won't fit any
more ( but that lets me check easier for hot bearings & brakes).
The kicker is after I got them mounted at the tire place, the old guy says "I
coulda sold you some rims I have out back that would have been ready to go- got
lotsa' em"
I lived with this lesson learned for about six months last year, but my reward
was yet to come-- While coming through SantaFe last march, I was turning around
in an empty parking lot, had a wheel drop off a curb hard. Then  as we roll, I
hear a hissing, every time the wheel turned around on on the curbside of the
trailer. Looking ahead, I found within 100 feet a Texaco station and limped in.
This was an old time service station, not just a gas & convenience store. And
they worked on tires! Little guy( the owner Sam) brings out the floor jack,
removes the wheel. I was prepared for the worst, new rim, new tire, etc... but
not so: only a bent rim, which he was able to hammer back into form, then
re-seal the bead on the tire!
All this done in 15 minutes for a fee of only $9.90. I gave him 15, to add a
tip, which he didn't want to take. I told him I believe in tipping for a good
job. I was just grateful for getting off so easy. But anyway my point here is
that I could not have done that with an aluminum rim! it would have been a
different story.
Jere Potter, #1877
'64 Safari, Ft Collins, CO