[VAC] Re: Hydraulic brake controllers/Trailer Stopping Capability

Back in the 70's, Airstream used to advertise that the tow vehicle with an
Airstream could stop in a shorter distance than the tow vehicle alone
(without the trailer).

I doubt that this is still true, but it does suggest that Airstreams have
oversize brakes for their weight. I can attest to this, based on a harrowing
experience: One time I lost the brakes on my tow vehicle, (a full size Chevy
Blazer) and I was able to descend the mountain from Kings Canyon National
Park and make it to Visalia (about five miles of relatively steep grade
before getting to fairly level terrain]   with the Airstream brakes alone
(dual axle 25' Tradewind).  Note that this ad  goes back to the days of four
wheel drum brakes and no anti-lock brake system (ABS).

When I bought my 300 E class Mercedes in 1989 (4 wheel disc with 4 wheel
anti lock brakes) it had the capability of (literally) stopping in half the
distance of most other cars on the road.  Every time I had to hit the brakes
hard, I would look in the rear view mirror to make sure I wouldn't also have
another vehicle in my back seat! Now most (and all new) vehicles have some
sort of anti-lock braking system - which probably accounts for much of the
reduction in fatalities in "high speed" accidents.

Harvey's point is well taken, that a tow vehicle with a weight equalizing
hitch has a lot more Normal (downward) force on all four wheels, especially
the rear.  Hence the tow vehicle's rear brakes are much less likely to lock
(unless on a very slippery surface like ice) than under non towing
conditions.

Oliver Filippi