[VAC] Re: help with stove

Joan,

Before you begin disassembling, have you considered this option? The reason I ask is because all our
Airstreams have a cupboard beside the stove.

1 - I can see the outside wall when I look into the cupboard beside the stove.
2 - I can reach into the cupboard and touch the outside wall beside the stove.

If you can do this - it might be possible to raise the counter without removing anything. A simple
hydraulic jack with the correct length of wood between it and the bottom of the counter could be
used to raise the counter to the original location. It doesn't take any strength to do that.

Once the counter is raised to where you want it, insert tailor made wooden legs into the cupboard
and maneuver them into place so they fit against the outside wall between the bottom of the counter
and the floor. If you can do this, then perhaps you're home free.

It may not work out as simply as I've described, but this might be enough to get you started.

Once you are satisfied with the height of the counter and the fit of the wooden legs, drill holes in
the wooden legs and secure them to the outside wall. If this can be done, you will have permanently
braced the counter in exactly the position you want it and best of all, you will not have taken
anything apart.

Of course - if you'd prefer to make a real project out of this, then by all means, remove the stove,
disconnect the gas lines and disassemble whatever woodwork necessary so you can get in there with
both feet and be up to your elbows in remodeling. That might be a satisfying project for you.

In case you haven't picked up on it, my general tendency is to do whatever it takes to make the
"just noticeable difference." It's hard for me to get enthused about expanding one project into two
or three. There are too many projects waiting for my attention.

Terry
mailto:tylerbears@airstream.net