[VAC] Re: Tires for 1969 Caravelm Michelin XCA Radial

Tuna:

   I like these Michelin 700 R 15's because they are like
today's European fashion models, tall and thin with no
protrusions, thus great for fitting into narrow wheel
wells.  My trusty Stanley measures these at about 8 inches
wide from outside edge to outside edge when mounted on a
wheel and inflated.  The bottom ground contact patch is a
bid wider due to the radial construction, but curiously it
always stays there and never migrates up into the wheel well
proper, so is of no concern when mounting this tire on an
Airstream.   I put a used set of 700 R 15s on my 1951 18'
Clipper after scrapping the sides of some brand new Goodyear
205 R 15 ST tires trying to shoehorn them into the
undersized wheel wells Wally was so fond of on his early
trailers.

    Marc, I don't know whether they come in ST grade, but I
doubt it as they are primarily truck tires.  I have been
running a set of recapped 700 R 15 Michelin tires on my
daily driver 1962 Willys station wagon for 8 years and they
have help up beautifully (smooth ride, iron tread, and very
even wear pattern), so I would not hesistate in the least to
run a set of recapped Michelin 700 R 15 tires on my old
1950's lightweigh trailers.

Fred C.
Denver