[VAC] Re: Need Info on Restoring Interiors

Most definitely there are BOTH opinions. It's just like in  the antique car
hobby. There are those who restore old cars exactly as the factory producing
them right down to the last nut and bolt. ....and then there are the
hot-rodders who turn an old beat up car into a road worthy modernized car.
The purists complain that the hot rodders are destroying the cars, and the
hot rodders say they are building the cars they really want. The argument
will NEVER END.

It is the same with Airstreams.  I have a 1971 that is in beautiful shape
that I want to keep original. I have a 1963 that I have torn apart (some)
and changed things. The 1963 was a mess when I got it so I didn't feel
guilty changing it. The 1971 is so nice I hate to drill a hole in it. In my
opinion, a trailer is not worth a thing if you don't use it. You will only
use it if it's set up the way you like it. I feel the same way about old
cars. What use is an old car if you can't drive it on a modern road?? So I
did drill some holes and made some slight modifications even in my 1971
Airstream. Likewise, my 1937 Dodge is modified with modern head lights and
turn signals so I can get a regular license on it and drive it when ever I
want. I use them both and I enjoy them. That's what they were made for!!

 So, in conclusion, there will always be those that will restore old
Airstreams to original condition and there are those that will rip them
apart and change everything. Most will probably do something between the two
extremes. The unrestored original Airstream will be worth more than a poorly
done modified. BUT when I bought my 1971 Airstream I had NO IDEA what an
original Airstream looked like. All I saw was a nice trailer in beautiful
condition.  If an Airstream has been modified but is very well done, I doubt
it's worth any less than an original. After all, how many people but
Airstream Purists are going to know what an original Airstream came equipped
with ???  Not your average buyer, that's for sure!

MARC WEIMER
Punxsutawney, PA  -  Home of the Groundhog
#15767
1963 Globe Trotter
1971 Globe Trotter
http://users.penn.com/~mweimer/weimer.html