[VAC] Re: Transmission Oil Temp and Use of OD

The gauge I bought told me to tee into the return transmission cooler line.
I did that about 2 inches from my transmission.  I'm not sure that is the
best location, but that's what they recommended, so I went with it. It's
surprising how fast the fluid temperature zooms up towards the danger zone
when you are maneuvering the trailer on a hilly campsite!

My transmission was still able to overheat even  though the gauge didn't
necessarily show it. I had a problem with low pressure in my transmission
due to a maladjusted pressure control valve. This caused a very slow flow
through the torque converter and the transmission cooler. The fluid
apparently overheated in the torque converter. This happened on long uphill
runs. The gauge didn't always tell me things were too hot. Suddenly, the
transmission fluid would start to pour out the transmission onto the ground
(out the vent). I think it's because my transmission fluid was boiling in
the torque converter. The slow fluid  flow allowed the fluid to cool
sufficiently in my nice large transmission cooler so that the gauge didn't
show the extreme temperature. If I had put the gauge on the outgoing cooling
line on the transmission maybe I would have seen the problem better. I'm
guessing, however.

Incidentally, I tried hooking the gauge up to the bottom of the sump of the
transmission and it only showed cool temperatures.   Cool fluids sink!

My transmission has been fine since the pressure was turned up. The front of
my Airstream still has spots on it from all the transmission fluid blown all
over it! (On the bright side, my steel parts aren't rusty!)

Maybe somebody has some comments on this??

MARC WEIMER
Punxsutawney, PA  -  Home of the Groundhog
#15767
1963 Globe Trotter
1971 Globe Trotter
http://users.penn.com/~mweimer/weimer.html