[VAC] Re: 5th wheel

Roger,
    I will tell you my sentiments on major mods to vintage trailers. There
are many people on the list including myself that consider these old
trailers, works of art. The restoration process starts with an evaluation of
present state. If the trailer is restorable to a usable condition, (and I've
seen very few that are not) then an attempt to maintain the character of the
original design should be considered first. It is the owners preference to
replace all major functional systems to their level of comfort. Certainly an
original trailer with all systems  working has value to some owners and
conversely there are other owners who would prefer to have new systems.
    If the trailer is in such poor condition that major frame and shell work
are required, then an alternate plan for the use of the trailer can be
considered i.e.. using the parts to refurbish another trailer, make a
shorter trailer, motorhome mod, or a 5th wheel conversion.
    A word of caution is in order in the case of your '55 Flying Cloud. The
frame construction on the fifties trailers was still very dependant on the
monocoque design. Frame members were of lightweight steel construction. The
moment you tear into the side of this trailer you will weaken the frame/body
integrity. As Tuna is dicovering in his restoration, without a proper frame
the rest of the restoration is in jepordy.
    In conclusion if you intend to continue with your idea for a 5th wheel,
a full new frame design is in order. While your at it you might as well find
yourself a longer trailer to modify, because when you get through cutting
the body on your 22 foot trailer you will only have 12 feet of length
inside. Hardley worth the effort in my opinion.
    If you are still wanting a 5th wheel and want to use your '55, another
alternative would be to add a steel extention to your "A" frame this would
allow you to place the frame on a 5th wheel hitch. Not my preference, but
then I've never had the experience of manuvering a 5th wheel trailer.
If you should decide that having a 5th wheel is more important than having
the 55 Flying Cloud and want to sell just let the list know. There will be
at least a dozen offers thrown your way.

Later
WAM52
'63 GTR
'66 TWLY