[VAC] Re: 55 Flying Cloud tire specs.

   The original tire specification were 700-15 6 ply tires,
with an upgrade to 8 ply tires available for about $10 more
in 1955.  Wheels were 15 inch with six holes, but I do not
know the offset.

    Michelin makes a 700R15 radial tire.  I have some old
ones on my 1957 Flying Cloud, and they fit in the wheelwell
with room to spare front and rear.  I have not taken them
off so do not know how close they come to the outside side
during installation or removal, but there appears to be
enough room there to make a tire change without too much
difficulty.

    I bought some P215 radial tires (etc., I forgot the
complete alternate tire size designation) for my 1951
Clipper but found out they were too wide to install in those
rather narrow and tight wheelwells, so I stayed with the
tall and narrow 700-15 tires for that trailer, which just
squeeze in during installation with rubbing against the
outside skin.  Your 1955 FC trailer probably has larger
wheelwells than my 1951.

    Others may know alternative modern tire size
designations.

Fred Coldwell
VAC Archive Historian