[VAC] Re: White LEDs (was Compact Flourescent Bulbs)

> I've been doing some studying.
> I looked at white LEDs.  I'm thinking some sort of spreading lens or reflector or a combination of
> the two might be practical.

I have a couple of white LED flashlights.  The light is very soft, very
bright but very blue/white.  Been thinking of adding some ambers to warm
up the color.  Saving burned out incandescents to salvage the bases,
adding a printed circuit board mount and series connecting the LEDs.  I
was planning on using 4, as 12 volt charging voltage is closer to 14
volts.

> I've ordered three of the LEDs from Hosfelt. They seem to promise the
> same light level (if it can be spread enough) for 1/100 the power.
> That's far better than the fluorescent fixtures.
>

> The first batch of white LEDs should be here about Thursday, then I can
> begin to experiment.

Will be interested in hearing about your results.  My project list is
still not down as far as LED experiments.

> There is a single LED flashlight at Walmart (flashlights are in sporting
> goods) for $11.96. It runs on 2 AA alkaline cells.

Used same batteries for three weeks (3 x AA) after leaving flashlight
burning at work over a weekend.  That's in a 2 LED torch.

Matt