[VAC] urethane v. oil based finishes

okay, wait a second, I don't understand how spar
varnish and tung oil differ in the "clean surface"
category.  I don't want shiny.

for me, urethane isn't what I'm looking for.  I want
the cabinets to age.  that's part of the charm IMHO.

so, I read somewhere that spar varnish was more
resistant to spills, the elements etc, and that's why
it's used on outdoor furnishings, and boats.
Basically, that's my only justification of it, but if
tung oil or danish oil are a -better- fit for my
trailer as far as durability -inside- the trailer,
then I will have more information to base my decision.
 I've got time - cabinets won't be going back in 'til
late fall this year.

Toby

p.s. what was originally used on the cabinets, and
does anyone know how one would maintain the original
finish if it were immaculate, and just in need of a
"sprucing" up?