[VAC] Re: A Question of Interest

Backing a 4 wheel wagon hitched to the rear of the tractor requires
starting with the train bent (or straight) in exactly the perfect
position for the backwards path, then requires the front of the tractor
to not be limited in its side to side motion by unimportant things like
buildings, trees, and fences. I can put a four wheel wagon anywhere with
the front hitch, I can bend the tongue in a jack knife using the rear
hitch. A truck's rear hitch is far less capable because there's not the
independent rear brakes to spin the truck on a dime. Even with
independent rear brakes, the weight of a truck is on the front wheels so
they won't leap sideways like a tractor's front.

Remembering parking on a hill side in Binder Park at Jefferson City,
last fall, I'm working on talking myself into a front hitch! I'd have
been in bed 15 minutes sooner with a front hitch... Couldn't see sides
of the trailer in the dark, so I backed a little, stopped and got out,
then backed a few more inches, stopped and got out, started over a few
times. When I finally parked it it was perfectly centered on the pad,
but that was a real pain! All the other RVrs were dead to the sounds I
made in the process.

Gerald J.