[VAC] Dometic Fridge woes

Hey all,

I am becoming increasingly frustrated at what I
thought was a simple problem.  I have an old Dometic
Fridge (Model A-28 hard to read due to rust) in my
1968 Caravel that works a little too good.  It's
freezing my eggs and orange juice, with the
temperature hovering around 10 degrees).  There is a
sticker showing on to operate the fridge that
indicates a thermastat, however there doesn't appear
to be one.  I figured that buying a thermastat and
putting it in would be a simple matter.

My problem is I'm getting the run around from RV parts
supply stores, saying I need everything from a new
cooling element, to maintaining a constant 60 degree
temperature in the coach(???) to an entirely new
upgrade.  Has anyone had a similar problem and been
able to solve it without selling the farm?  If I need
to get a new part, how difficult is it to work on
propane fridges?

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions,

Jerry
17' 1968 Caravel