[VAC] Re: Tung oil - how about spar varnish?

Most of the so called oil finishes are nothing more than a watered down
polyurethane varnish and oil mix. we did a sail boat interior with pure tung
oil at the customers instance over our objections and it as we told him it
stunk for a long time.
the difference between spar varnish and any other varnish is that spar
varnish has a UV screen in it. the oil finish that i have used for many years
is as follows .
11/2 parts polyurethane varnish(pefer gloss)
2 parts boiled linseed oil.
3 parts turpine. (or enough to thin to a working constancy that you like)
none of this formula is written in stone.
I apply several coats over several days wiping off the excess before it
becomes sticky.if open pore wood I scrub in the 1st couple of coats with 400
wet or dry sandpaper.
the finish is idiot proof if you screw up simply wash down with a fresh coat
and dry off.
If finish is damaged or worn a wipe down with afresh coat will do  wonders
If dirty wash down with the finish materials and 4o steel wool.
finish must be started on bare wood.
Jim Smith 1965 Tradewind(The Silver Albatross)
 Former boat builder