[VAC] Re: Outriggers / load limits

> Thanks Jim and Michael, that helps.  So the outrigger is attached vertically to the back
> of the C-channel and   braced against it, and it sort of rests on the angle iron that the
> outer shell is attached to, is what it looks like?  No, the floor sits on the outrigger, so
> this particular one must look odd because of that funky patch job, huh?

Funky?!  Why, I put a whole 10 minute effort into that patch job -- it's beautiful!  ;^]  Okay,
it is, of course, only temporary until I put in the floor and a new water heater.

Additional outriggers are to help distribute
> a concentrated load in a specific area, but they wouldn't significantly increase carrying
> capacity overall, then, is what it looks like?

Correct.

And even if you have a stiffer & stronger floor (as that aluminum honeycomb aircraft
flooring might be) so you wouldn't have to add outriggers,

Well, you'd still need the outriggers at the seams of whatever subflooring material you
use.  Look at my pic again, and you'll see a second outrigger about a foot forward of
the one for the water heater.  That allows the seam between the plywood sheets
(or the possible honeycomb sheets) to be tied-down and properly secured.

> the ultimate limiting factor
> would still be the axles & wheels/tires?

And suspension, and tongue weight (considering overall trailer balance), and GCVWR
as well.  These all come to mind as additional factors involved.  Not to mention the
fact that the body shells are stressed members of the overall structure.  The whole
coach is designed to flex and give-and-take as a unit.  I could be wrong here, but it
would seem to me that too stiff of a frame and floor could very well cause abnormal
stresses on ribs and skin seams, etc.  But please, I'm just guessing on that last
matter there -- it's an opinion, and I'm no travel trailer engineer.  Just as a general
rule of thumb, I'm hesitant to stray too far away from an original design, just as
a precaution.  Unless it's something I definitely know.

Jimbo / '76 Sovereign