[VAC] Re: Plastic tank repair

Hi Joy,

When I removed the water tank under the front window in our '69 22' Safari (front dinette model),
the cracks were not visible (only the wet floor clued me in). The tank was replaced with a generic
one that fit the space.

Like you, my connecting tube had to be replaced. I found the exact diameter at a swimming pool
supplier. Plus, he showed me how to easily cut it. The vent tube was old, so I used new soft tubing.

I had a spare water pump and replaced the old one. Then, when we were at a Florida State Rally with
the Shurflo representative, he repaired my old one at no cost (another fringe benefit of attending
big rallies with factory representatives and service available.)

What I should have done, but didn't and will do one of these days is install a sight tube outside
the woodwork that contains the water tank. I want to visually see how much water is in my tank just
by glancing at the tube. Many vintage owners have made that modification. It's a no brainer.

As for heat in that area, I leave the lower locker compartments open on cold nights. In our '77 31'
Airstream, I solved that by installing standard brass vents in the woodwork. They look sharp, never
need any attention and keep the unseen area the same temperature as inside the main living area.

That might be a possibility for you. It would save moving the water pump and chance having the extra
water line between the pump and tank be vulnerable to crushing or vibration rubbing near the
doorway. Then again, there are advantages to having the pump and filter visible. Later, if you got
real gung ho, it would be simple to add a sediment and charcoal filter under there. See how easy it
is to spend other people's money and find more jobs for them to do.

Terry
'63 22' Flying Cloud
'69 22' Safari
'77 31' Excella 500