[VAC] Find that blower!

Last week, my '77 31' furnace was upgraded to a brand new one. Like yours, the fit was slick as a
whistle (piece of cake). All wiring was plug in style fittings. Gas line was removed, cut, reflared
and reattached at the bottom. Incidentally, I learned that scavengering old copper tubing meant I
have thicker copper than the new stuff being sold.

Unlike you, this was my chance to carefully refresh a small piece and replace a large piece of
tambour. I used the smaller piece as a template for salvaging the center section of the larger upper
piece. The larger upper section is now brand new and slides like there was powdered graphite in the
bottom slide. Price was approximately the same. At first, the cost seemed steep, but I suspect it
was a fair price.

Now for the nitty gritty. We pulled into Colorado Springs yesterday (39 degrees and 50 mph gusting
wind). Just before dark, soupy fog arrived, turned into freezing rain and then we could hear the
snow landing on our Airstream's roof. This morning, every single pine tree in our neck of the woods
was coated with white frozen rain mixed with corn snow. Would you believe that furnace? Last night,
it actually worked the way it was intended and I couldn't find anything wrong with it. This week's
weather forecast is for below freezing temperatures every single night. Would you say we replaced
that furnace just in time?

Maybe 2001 is the year for furnaces built in 1977 to begin having holes in the fire box. When I
learned the cost of a new fire box, it made no sense to repair my furnace. The decision for a new
furnace was a no brainer.

Terry
mailto:tylerbears@airstream.net