[VAC] Re: Towing a 1968 17' Caravel

Jeff,

Others have replied, but I will add my 2 cents...OK OK, its probably more like $3 worth, but I have been towing my Airstream for over 20 years now!

A 17 foot trailer is not nearly as prone to sway problems as the longer trailers. You do however have a lightweight tow vehicle, which is more easily pushed around. This should not pose a problem since you also have a lightweight trailer, especially if you do a little homework, which you seem to be doing.  Adding a friction-type sway bar to the hitch assembly is a good start. It might not be normally needed, but the first time you are blown around by a passing semi and your significant other happens to be driving, you will wish that you had one.

More importantly make sure that the hitch is properly set up for your tow vehicle/trailer combination. This includes proper ball height and proper weight distribution adjustment. I do not know the ball height for your trailer. Find out what it is and adjust your hitch so that the top of the ball is that high off the ground (you do this while NOT hitched up). Since you are using a pickup as a tow vehicle you want your weight distrib bars adjusted so that at a minimum the front end of the truck is brought back down to unhitched height. At a maximum you want enough weight going to the front so that the truck "squats" evenly front and rear. Since you have a light duty truck it is very important that you weigh the truck's axles separately while hitched up, carrying a full load. You need to do this to be sure that you are not overloading your truck's axles. You should be able to find a loacl public scales in your yellow pages, or at a truck stop. If you are overloaded, adjust the weight distribution bars and reweigh. While you are at the scales, unhitch and weigh the tongue of the trailer, and the trailer axle (separately) to be sure that the tongue weight is 10 to 15 percent of the total trailer weight. If need be, adjust how you pack your trailer to give you the proper tongue weight. Since this will take a while, I suggest that you call ahead to see if there is a day and or time that the scales are not busy.

One list member suggested a sway bar added to your truck's suspension. This might also help increase stability while on the road. I would try towing without this first. If your driving experience causes you any alarm, then try adding them. With a properly set up hitch and tow vehicle, your towing experience should be a very pleasant one, usually an experience very similar to driving solo.

One other thing...I am assuming that you have a brake control unit in your truck and that the brakes work properly.

Scott Scheuermann