[VAC] 03/05/01 Monday - EEWCRC

"Exploring East & West of the Colorado River Caravan"

Another early-up morning, but the forecast for rain was wrong. After leaving Death Valley, we
stopped at the Opera House for postcards and a daytime snapshot. While there, I inquired about
buying one of the calendars of Marta Becket's paintings. He replied, "They sold fast this year.
There are only two left." Feeling lucky, I reached for my wallet and asked, "How much are they?" The
reply was not what I expected. "You'll really enjoy the paintings. This year's calendars are only
$75." Gulp, I put my wallet back in my pocket. We chatted some more and I learned he was saving his
money to buy a favorite painting - for $1500. "I should have enough in two years if no one else buys
it first." Wishing him "Good Luck," I left and we continued our day's run to the County Fairground
in Victorville, California.

During the trip, traffic became intense in a few places and gusting wind was the norm. Although I
use 1000# spring bars and Reese dual cams for sway control, I've supplemented them with one of
Reese's friction bars. This has provided a rock solid feeling, even when trucks pass too close to us
and when there is strong gusting wind. I may buy another friction bar on the other side if I see a
lot more wind socks when approaching Interstate cross canyon sections. We've seen more warnings
about dangerous gusting wind in the southwest than in other parts of the country.

Fairground parking had 3 point hookups and a short cord access to the satellite. Tonight's caravan
dinner was at the Hometown Buffet (something for everyone). Afterwards, on the way back, we found
the laundromat, grocery store, fuel ($1.47) and other mall type shops for tomorrow's restocking.

Terry
mailto:tylerbears@airstream.net