[VAC] Re: upholstery

O-kay - O-kay....
a 1952 20' airstream... However, the tongue was lengthend about 10" so that
I could put a spare tire up front along with the 7 1/2 gallon worthington
aluminum tanks and a new hitch.
I bought the trailer about 4 years ago, and finally have the $$$ to fix the
ol girl up.

I had to have a 13 panel trailer and wanted something a bit bigger than my
67 17' caravel. My wife doesn't like the Bigger ones,,, so this was about as
big as I could go and still be able to pull it with my 1956 Buick Super (2
door hard top with 352 cubic inch,4 barrel engine).

Anyway as you peek thru the door - off to the right and around the front is
a "U" type seating arrangement with the table sitting on an shiny pedistal.
following down the drivers side is the kitchen with
the old white porcelin 3 burner stove (and oven) with a double sink.
The whole back of the trailer is taken up by a queen island bed with
a night stand on each side. Comming back up the passanger side is a huge
closet (twice the size of the caravels)and then the white porcelin propane
fridge and underneath is the porta potty. Next to the door was the grey
round "wally byam" propane heater.

When I got the trailer the porta potty was missing. So I got the biggest one
(holds the most) I could, and mounted it on slide out brackets (300 pounds
maximum). So now you open the door slide out the toilet and sit down.... My
wife is not to happy with this feature and we have the maiden voyage
scheduled for the end of this month (I'll keep ya posted).

Originally the trailer had the accumulator tank in the back bumper.
You would fill this 4" diameter bumper with air and in had a line going to a
round "steel" tank with held the water. There was no grey water tank let
alone a black water tank. there was no hot water heater, you had to heat the
water on the stove.
I have 1 12 volt light which worked when you were hooked up to the car. The
purpose I suppose was to have a light on until you could get 1 of the two
propane lights going. the rest of the lights were 110.

The trailer now has a battery in the back compartment and I swithced
out the old fuse box for a 15 amp breaker box. the batter now runs the 1
light and a water pump. I put in a new 15 gallon fresh water tank and a 20
gallon grey water tank. The porta potty --- well we'll keep ya posted on how
that works out.

Let's see what else has been done --- oh yeah all the normal stuff like new
brakes, new wheels,new tires, (and spare), new shocks, pack the bearings,
new "shore" power cord, new curtains, new upohlstery, new carpet. a few new
shelves put in here and there, reseal the windows so they don't leak...

Like it has been said in the past I customized the trailer for my needs -
likes - and comforts... I'll probably not be able to recoup
the 9,000.00 I have invested... But then again I didn't buy the trailer to
make money,,,, I bought it because I am an airstream addict and like to
tinker... I would imagine that some of you could have done it for less ---
like the welding of the hitch and installation of the hot water heater,,,, I
know my limits and did not want to tackle such a job (not to mention wanted
it done right)...

well that's about it for the 52.... I'll post the serial numbers tomarrow so
that you guys can tell me what it is I have...

hak