[VAC] Tankless water heaters: travel time to tap?

John:  I think it was Tuna?  who said that given the short distances between tank
and heater in an A/S, a tankless unit might actually pass more water through before
delivering hot water as it can take a while to bring the water up from whatever the
ambient is, whereas a tanked heater has only the amount of water in the pipes from
tank to fixture before it delivers hot water.  My experience with tankless heaters
was in England and there they tended to be placed just above the place of use,
e.g., kitchen sink, bathtub, and even there, it sometimes took a while to get
actual hot water out of them.  What's been your experience in terms of time for
delivery to tap in your home:  faster than from the tank unit, noticeably slower,
what?  In California there is no such thing as an "unlimited" water supply even
when you're hooked up.  Well, there is, in meter-free Sacramento for one, but I'm
speaking rainfall-wise here.

--Sarah