[VAC] Re: Tire Rim Replacement

Bill,
 I've found my wheel hubs to be right at ambient temperature, not warm
at all. Same with the tires. I do notice that the tires on the "sunny
side" will be considerably warmer than those on the "shaded side".

If your bearings are properly greased and adjusted, they won't get warm.
When applying the grease, it's important to put a large gob into one
hand and "slice" into it with the bearing cage, sorta like you're trying
to cut your hand with the edge of the cage. This forces the grease into
the assembly, not just coats the outside of the rollers. I "slice" into
the gob with both sides, work the rollers with my hands, and repeat.

Then, when installing the wheel, tighten the bearing nut until it's
fairly snug. If you use ChannelLock type pliers, you won't get it too
tight. Rotate the wheel by hand and make sure the nut is still snug,
that way you're certain that the bearing is properly seated. THEN, back
off the nut until you can insert the cotter pin (always use a new one)
and bend it over. The nut should basically be one hole off of "tight".
Check the wheel to be sure that it still rolls free. Install the tire,
then adjust the brakes.

The brakes should have just a bit of drag over part of the revolution of
the wheel when adjusted properly. I usually tighten them a bit too
tight, then back them off until there's just a hint of drag or scraping
noise. You need to back them off way too much to eliminate all drag, in
most cases.

FWIW: I bought one of those "temperature guns" from the local NAPA store
to check tire and hub temperatures; I use it just about every time we
stop.

                                           <<Jim>>