[VAC] Re: LED tail lights

Bill,

My Bargman 99's were also very dim. Upon removing the lens I noticed that I
had two bulbs in each fixture. A standard brake/tail lamp bulb and a tail
only bulb. The dual bulb was wired to only light the brake portion. Wanting
to keep the original appearance I rewired it so that both the tail lamps
would light (doubling the output for the taillights). For the brake light I
looked around for a halogen, or otherwise high output bulb. I could not find
one. But in my toolbox I came across an old replacement halogen bulb from a
set of cheap fog lamps that gave me an idea. I took my soldering gun and
wired the fog lamp bulb in. It is not solidly mounted, but the stiff wiring
keeps it from bouncing around. It is bright enough to see in the daylight
but not too bright at night. I did this two years ago and no problems so
far. At first I was concerned about the extra heat that the halogen lamps
would produce, but realized that functioning as the brake/turn lamps, they
would not be lit for long periods of time. When they do finally burn out it
will be a bit more involved to replace them than a normal bulb, but so far I
am happy with the results since the lights can now be seen in the daylight.

Scott Scheuermann