[VAC] 02/24/01 Saturday - EEWCRC

"Exploring East & West of the Colorado River Caravan"

We left for Las Vegas this morning - a four hour drive. This time, we were not deparkers and could
leave early, drive at our own pace, stop when we wanted and arrive anytime in the afternoon.
Changing to Pacific time zone meant we arrived an hour earlier. Our Leaders cautioned us about a
speed trap in the village of Searchlight. We rolled into town at 25 mph (55 mph half a mile earlier)
found a big parking lot filled with RVers and had lunch. We never saw the police car.

The weather has not been cooperative, 45 degrees and very windy. Our Reese dual cam sway controls
are doing their job. The forecast is for more of the same, plus rain and colder temperatures into
next week. This may impact our travel plans into Death Valley, particularly if snow or flooding is
forecast.

After we continued on, an unfamiliar numbered Airstream began following us. A voice came on the CB
asking if we were part of the caravan. We replied, "Yes" and asked where they were going. "We're
just arriving and hoped to catch up with the caravan." On more than one caravan, this has occurred
when families were delayed or couldn't get to the rendezvous site on time. They followed us in -
thinking we knew exactly what we were doing. Luckily, we got it right the first time.

Silverton RV Resort is a full facility campground with WES, cable, telephone, raised concrete pads
and pull through sites. Our Leaders greeted us with an unexpected surprise - tickets to a Comedy
Magic Show.

At Happy Hour, supper plans were made for Jerry's Nugget Restaurant where huge prime rib dinners go
for $7.99 each. Somehow, we were asked to lead the way on this 10 mile drive through downtown Las
Vegas. We had never visited this city before. The prime rib was everything we'd been told. It was
our month's allotment of beef.

The return drive along Las Vegas Boulevard had enough lights burning to provide California with
electricity for a week. Every hotel was trying to put on a more spectacular display than the other.
Opulent consumption of electrical power is the norm in Las Vegas.

Terry
mailto:tylerbears@airstream.net