[VAC] Skin damage and water heater

Hi everyone,
I am getting our 1971 Tradewind (25 foot) ready and have two problems.  While driving through El Paso last year, I hit a piece of 2x2 square steel pipe about  four feet long.  When I ran over it with my Excursion, it flew up, hit the front leveler, spun around and hit the side of the trailer making a hole about three inches by six inches through the outside skin only.  We finished our trip with a duct-tape patch.  I would like to put a piece of aluminum for a patch.  The only aluminum I can find is VERY thin material for flashing.  I would like something thicker.   The question is how thick and where can I find it?

Next, there is a leak by the hot water heater and I cannot see back there to find the leak.  It is a very slow leak.  I am thinking about taking the hot water heater out.  There are about a million screws on the outside of the thing (talk about over kill).  I guess I take all of those out, disconnect the water pipe and the gas pipe and pull the little feller out.  Right?   Is it a major job?

I think the leak is coming from some old black hose that I cannot get to without taking out the heater.  Is that black hose difficult to replace?   How?

I have more questions, but these will keep me busy for now.

Thanks for any help.

Jerry
2982