[VAC] Re: Changes versus Value

Hi guys,

Not sure where the "restored equals unusable museum piece" came from.

Our '65 Caravel is 100% "restored" & 95% original, every inch from front
to back & top to bottom - and 100% usable.  We use it more than most
Airstreams out there and definitely more than the armchair Airstream owners.

We favor boonie camping in the Sierra Nevada's and along the coast, and
have been hauling the Caravel down logging roads & through the dirt.  We
just vacuum it out and wash it after each trip.  That's the beauty of an
Airstream and the materials Wally & Company first chose.

What I'm saying is that before you paint the Zolatone over in "Peach",
before you replace the Dixie stove because it's easier than fixing it,
before you rip out the furnace and replace it with a catalytic heater,
or throw away all the light fixtures because you found some "great never
needs replacing light" at Walmart,  think about:

1- will we regret this later?
2- will future owners curse us or give an approving nod?
3- are we reducing what makes an Airstream an Airstream?
4- Have we really tried to repair this, or are we taking the easy way out?

Now don't get me wrong, this does not apply to safety or operational
items.  If the univolt was to fail, a properly installed Convertor is
going in. PEX for Copper pipe?  Sure thing!

Frank & Faith, changing the upholstery , curtains and softgoods are what
every person does with their Airstream - it's how we make it "ours".
There's not a thing wrong with it.  What would be cool is to take some
samples of the original material, fold it up, place it in a package and
leave it in the bottom of a drawer.  Some future owner will find great
joy one day when they come across it.

Back to work now, the sun's out and I have 5# of dry ice in the garage.
I'm dent removing on the Caravel today.  Will take pictures and update
the website if this really works.

RJ & Krista