[VAC] Re: Changes versus Value

Frank,
I love to see original units in perfect shape with no changes and
everything working and used, but that's partly because they are so
unusual and inspire the conservationist in me.  But, as Harvey Barlow so
neatly summed it up, and Bill Scott made it clear, it's a trailer you
want to trailer in and should be comfortable for you to do so.  Original
working trailers have a lot of competition for them when they come on
the market, but those in good working condition with all systems go that
are altered with good taste and good sense are in high demand, too.
More buyers want a usable travel trailer, than an all original unit that
must be redone from bottom to top and won't be ready for the road for
several years and until lots of  $$$$$$$$$$$$$  is invested. There are a
lot of reasons why Vintage units are chosen, but the initial one is;
more often than not, that a family or couple doesn't want to pay $25,000
to $60,000 for a new Airstream right now but wants an Airstream and
wants to hit the road.  Some of us want the challenge and love an
involved project, though, and I (personally) am just not all there when
it comes to Airstreams and have trouble resisting buying 50's units that
are original as possible.  Take heart, you did what was right for you
and that's what counts.  You are happy with your trailer, aren't you? I
am sorry to hear of your wife's illness.  I hope you can find a way to
use it.  If you could get a hitch and take it to a nearby camping spot,
maybe you could have a pleasant break from home this summer without too
much hassle. It doesn't sound as if you have really done anything to
reduce the value of the unit though.
Best of wishes for you both,
Tom Walden