[VAC] Re: Furnace and A/C: Heat Pump Option?

On the subject of furnace and A/C, is there a consensus on the list about the
value of the roof-top heat pump/AC?  (If this been covered in-depth in past
discussions ignore this message and I'll try to find the archved material.)

I understand that a heat pump is only used at temps above 38-40 F.  Not sure
why this  is, but obviously that's a limitation.  But are there other
disadvantages as compared with just a roof-top AC and gas furnace?  Besides
the slight additional cost over a regular AC unit?

--Lan Sluder
Asheville, NC
'70 Overlander 27'