[VAC] '60 Caravel - eBay

For all you short trailer fans, there is an 18' 1960 Caravel on ebay
right now.  The Caravel was the Ohio version of the California Traveler,
made from 1958 to 1960.  It superseded the 1953-1957 18' Globetrotter.

SEE PICTURES BELOW

This particular one looks like it was rode hard and put up wet.  It is
missing some big ticket items, such as the front window, the
refrigerator, the LP tanks, and the original toilet and black water
tank.  The entry door/right front belly is in severe sad shape too.  The
floor is toast judging by the window and wall damage.

It is also missing some small difficult items too, such as marker
lights, HW heater vent cover and has some obvious "owner modifications"
over the years relating to the electrical and plumbing system.

Cosmetically, it shows what happens when you apply latex paint to
everything in sight (over the wood and Zolatone), as this has had done -
in pink and white no less.

It's good points is that the body (except the door) is in fair
condition.  The original cabinets are there to use as templates.  The
stove/oven & heater are still there.

The reason I bring this one up is that in our travels over the last few
years looking for Airstreams, we come across so many owners of little
guys like this, who with great visions of restored gleaming trailers,
latch on to trailers that have been sitting moldering away in fields,
only to find after a few years of tinkering away, that the workscope
exceeds their skill, time and financial resources.  And then they put up
the trailer for sale, partially done - missing a few more parts.

This trailer is very typical of what you will find shopping around,
unless the trailer has been used on a regular basis.  An example like
this one, you are looking at about 1200 to 1800 hours of work and about
$5000-$6000 in parts, and you will use every trade skill imaginable:
carpentry, metalsmith, plumber, electrician, automotive, seamstress,
sheetmetal, glazier, painter, appliance repair and upholstery - plus
trying to be a general contractor, buyer, janitor, laborer, warehouseman
and accountant. You will also need a place to work on it out of the
weather and a very large tool selection.

You can see that if you hire some or all of it done, you can see where
some of those $20,000 to $35,000 asking prices of restored trailers come from.

Because of my website, I am always asked what it takes to restore a
trailer and what to expect, so here was a perfect example in living
color.   All I want to say, is go into a purchase with your eyes wide
open and realistic expectations.  Spend time researching, learning and
be aware of the full implications of fixing up an old Airstream.

If you are comfortable with all the above, restoring an old trailer is
fun and satisfying - but still not as fun as using it.  Ours is a head
turner where ever we go.  We can't even stop at a rest stop without 3 or
4 visitors stopping by - and you get used to the horn honks and waves.
It is so strange right after a trip and you are driving trailerless, and
it all stops.

Later,
RJ & Krista
VintageAirstream.com