[VAC] Re: Why Car & Trailer Battery to Univolt?

I have a response to that.      I have an extra battery in the car. The
extra battery is connected to the trailer and the car electrical system.
There is a separate battery for the starter motor. These two batteries in
the car are separated by a diode so that both will charge, but only the
extra battery will drain when the trailer is hooked to it. This way, I
effectively have TWO batteries to run the twelve volts in the trailer ...and
I always have good battery to start the car in the morning. When we are
camping, we rarely have electric hook up. While we are camping, we travel a
lot in the car (leaving the trailer at camp). I find that if I hook the car
up to the trailer while we are at camp, the battery in the trailer will last
indefinitely while we are at camp. I never have to hook up a battery
charger. Twice, my wire between the car and the trailer has failed. Both
times, my battery in the trailer only lasts 4 days before it died
(discharged). If you ever need to camp without electricity, you need that
connection to the car battery. If you never do that, maybe you don't!

MARC WEIMER
Punxsutawney, PA  -  Home of the Groundhog
#15767
1963 Globe Trotter
1971 Globe Trotter
http://users.penn.com/~mweimer