[VAC] Re: insulation - heaters - cold climates

Hi Jill
I live full time in a 29' rear bath A/S in N.Y. State. This winter has been
exceptionally cold with weeks of below 20 degrees. I have been
keeping the trailer at a comfortable 72 degrees (my preference) with a 6000
BTU catalytic heater and an oil-filled electric radiator set on 600 watts
that I use at night when the temp. dips below 20 degrees.

Most of the other permanent full-timers have opted to close in the bottom
of their trailers with taped on Styrofoam panels or paper-faced house
insulation (comes in rolls) stuffed in around the bottom of the trailer. I
did neither and yes, the floor does get cold at times. This is partially due
to keeping all the lower cabinets (plumbing side) open to prevent the pipes
from freezing.  I use a heat tape covered with foam on the water supply.
Next winter I plan to install a second (smaller) catalytic heater in the
rear of the trailer doing away with  the electric heater.  The cost is about
$80 to $90 a month (propane & electric) for the very coldest months.  I have
used a furnace in the past in a SOB motorhome and the heating cost was
higher.  Using just the furnace, I had to use an electric heater to keep the
trailer at an even temperature. It would get a bit chilly before the furnace
would kick in.

I have also installed a propane alarm and a carbon monoxide alarm (both are
12 volt and run off the battery) - just in case.

I love my catalytic heater and have removed the original furnace.

Hope this helps.
Enjoy winter camping.
Noah