[VAC] Re: insulation - heaters - cold climates

Hi All,

My '69 Safari seems to have the distinction of having foam in place
insulation on the underside of the floor rather than other types of
insulation.  I have no idea what the R value is.  I had to break out several
sections to replace rotted flooring.  My plan for replacement is to use
"Great Stuff" expanding polyurethane foam sealant.  It comes in two
formulas, minimal and triple expanding.  I'm not sure how it will work on
overhead insulation that I must replace.

It's advantage for me is that it will seal small leaks around my holding
tank
housing that would otherwise be impossible.  Rigid foam would be nearly
impossible to install around the cross frame members and outrigger
structures.  Fiberglas bat insulation can be wetted from water getting in
the belly pan area - effectively bringing the R value to "0".  The closed
pore foam wouldn't be subject to this problem.  Unfortunately, the
fiberglass
in the walls of my Safari are fiberglass bats.  Any moisture at all and
there's a direct conduit for cold from the outside to the inside!   Much
like the windows?  :(

I guess I'm requesting pro and con responses concerning the use of
polyurethane foam under the floor of my Safari.  I understand the health
issues proposed in the early '70s that banned urethane foams from home
construction.  Maybe the new products are different than the '70s formula.
The new product label declares it to be a polyurethane intermediate are made
up of polyisomeric diisocyanate and polyols.  The advertisements show it
being used inside and outside homes.

My past experience is that this stuff is really sticky, messy and expands
like mad.  The latex substitutes are totally unacceptable.

Are there other A/S restorers who have experience with using these or
similar products.

                                           Joy