[VAC] Plate separation and A/S skin leaks

Hi John,

I didn't mean to challenge any pet theories about plate separation/equalizer
hitches/radials, etc.  I did want to point out that there was a basic
problem that wasn't being addressed with regard to plate separation.

Your comment that all A/S leak brought to mind a discovery I made while
working on my Safari.  It surprised me, but most likely not experienced A/S
restorers.

If you look at the attached schematic of the attachment of the upper
structure to the frame of my Safari, you'll see a "drain hole"  I've found
these infrequently around the perimeter of the trailer.  Other areas have
breaks in the aluminum "U" channel that will drain the water from the
channel.  Like each side of the entry door, and the sides of the water
heater.  The point where the front and rear shells are connected to the main
body just happens to coincide with the end of the banana curve.  If you are
correct that all A/S skin leak, it seems reasonable to be sure that the
water will drain to the belly pan and out of the unit.  Making the floor a
structural member and provisions for constant wetting of the floor from skin
leaks isn't very smart engineering.

I opted to extend the skin with aluminum skirting metal so any water that
seeped between the outer skin and the banana would miss the floor.
Unfortunately, I can't wrap the floor edge with aluminum to keep inherent
water from wetting the floor.  Seems like the only option is to treat the
edges of the floor and hope for the best.  A simple change in the design of
the aluminum by the A/S engineers would have eliminated the floor rot
problem.  That is, making provisions to drain all water outside the floor
rather than onto the floor!  :(

As a novice restorer, it's important to me to make the repair and prevent
the situation from occurring in the future.

If there are other ideas of how to make repairs that will eliminate the
problem I've discovered, I'd like to hear them.

                                                        Joy

perimeter attachment skematic AS