[VAC] Re: TIRE Question/Vintage Jeepster tow-vehicle

Tuna,

IMHO, certainly not the opinion of a tire expert, there is no advantage to
inserting a tube within a tubeless tire but there is a disadvantage.  The
disadvantage is that if a small puncture is discovered while the tire is
still inflated, a patch plug coated with rubber cement can simply be forced
into the puncture hole (after removing the screw, nail or whatever if still
present), reinflate the tire, and go on your way.  The repair can even be
done at roadside if necessary.  Similarly, if the tire in question has fully
deflated and taken to a tire repair facility, the tire can be repaired with
a plug by a shop without dismounting the tire from the wheel.  The advantage
is that dismounting is not required.

I think a patch type repair is required, at least preferred, in a radial
type tire but in a bias ply light truck tire, I believe a plug repair is
perfectly acceptable.   I think this is the primary reason tubeless tires
were developed.  This opinion may be subject to correction by a tire
professional.

> b) The jeepster has, i believe, a 'caster' axle... /-----\ ...while the
> airstream appears to have a significant 'camber'.... \-----/ ...(have i
got
> this the right way 'round?)... would there be a problem with rotating
tires
> from the jeepster to the airstream and vice-versa? it seems like the
> wear-patterns would even out, over the rotation cycles...
> c) anyone have pro/cons re: classic-style whitewalls on a travel-trailer?
> e.g. http://www.coker.com/

I think you may be misusing the terms, caster and camber.  In the two
example you cited above, my understanding is that one is positive camber,
the other is negative camber.  Camber, I think, is an inward or outward tilt
of the wheel and tire, from the vertical, seen from the front or rear of the
vehicle as indicated by your sketch.  Camber can be either positive or
negative.  I forget which is which but I think out at the top of the wheel
and tire is positive, in at the top of the wheel is negative.  I may have
them reversed.  The other measurement, caster I think, is only applicable to
the front steering wheels and defines the rotation about the centerline of
the front suspension, a forward or rearward tilt from the vertical.   Caster
has a profound effect on steering input and the tendency for the front
wheels to return to the center unassisted following a turn.

I know of no reason why you couldn't rotate all six wheels and tires between
tow and towed vehicle if the tires and wheels match but unless the tow
vehicle is used to tow 100% of the time, the tow vehicle tires would
typically be subject to far more wear over a given period of time than would
the tires mounted on the trailer.  If you are using the old-fashioned light
truck bias ply tires I don't think there is any conflict.  On the other
hand, if you were using radials on all six wheels, different applications
behave very differently.  I have twice tried rotating tires and wheels on a
BMW, each time on different cars.  Each time rotating fronts to rears
created a very wierd steering and handling condition.  I can't explain why
but I believe it results from radial tires "taking a set" while in use and
when asked to rotate a different direction, the tire behaves differently.
The sensitivity of the finely tuned suspension of a BMW must accentuate the
problem.

> I've had a soft spot in my head for jeeps since i owned a brand new AMC
cj5
> in the '70's... and when someone on this list (possibly Fred 'Agrijeep'
> Coldwell, our Historian) recommended a vintage utility wagon as a tow
> vehicle, i was off and running. i've eschewed the utility wagon in favor
of
> the more sporty 'Jeepster',

I like Jeepsters also.  I am a member of a '50s car club here in Lubbock.
There are two, possibly still three beautifully restored '50s Jeepsters in
the club.  They attract a lot of attention and make great parade cars.

Harvey,