[VAC] Blackwater Tank Repair

Hello, I'm new to the group. I have recently purchased a '65 Globetrotter and I'm in the process of a total restoration. I have all of the interior and a large section of the rear floor out of the trailer now.  I've been reading the archives to catch up on the topics discussed and to avoid posting redundant questions.  I came across a thread about blackwater tank repair started by Harvey Barlow (I believe) and haven't seen any real conclusion to it(perhaps I missed it).

My blackwater tank has several cracks in it around the intake and the discharge.  I priced a replacement from InlandRV at $445. Seems a little steep to me.  I'm still waiting on a price for an A/S replacement.  I'm adept at working with epoxy and fiberglass, coming to A/S restoration from  a boatbuilding background, so I initially thought I would repair or rebuild the existing tank.  I was concerned about one reply that said that epoxy wouldn't adhere to a polyethylene tank. Is that what the original tank is made of?  Doesn't seem to be.  So, bottom line is,,, does anyone have a final verdict?  Can you repair these things?  If so, what is the best method?  Or would it be better to just fork out the money for a replacement?  Or have one custom made? Harvey, I saw that you went with a stock polyethylene tank and modified it.  How'd that work?  Are you happy with it?

Any advice is appreciated.

Jason Guynes
Livingston, AL
1965 Globe Trotter