[VAC] Re: Polishers

The polisher you use is  dependent on the condition of the skin of your
trailer. For trailers that have once been clearcoated and the coat
striped off you generally have a surface that is much less oxidized then
trailers prior  to 1960-61 when  clearcoat was not available.   The 50's
units generaly are/were heavily oxidized if never polished before.  The
Cyclo works very well on the less oxidized trailer and if you want to
spend a lot of effort you can worry off a heavily oxidized trailer skin
with it also.  The heavier, variable speed buffers, are much more
effective for heavily oxidized trailers and have the weight and power to
cut the surface.  I have used both but  the cyclo  only when I applied
the final polish ( Rolite AP300).

Polishing swirls can be an  indicator ofnot enough polishing or perhaps
not using proper  finishing polish to cut out the scratches made by
heavier cutting  polish.  Also the early, pre-clearcoat  trailers had a
different surface "clading" on the aluminum which   polishes to  an an
extremely bright mirror finish (almost to bright)  These surfaces tend to
show polish marks, particularly in bright sun.

Roy Lashway
'78 Argosy,'56 Bubble
WBCCI 1610     VAC
rlashway@zianet.com