[VAC] Re: Not all Airstreams are created equal.

> The book is titled "Airstream", written by Robert Landau and James
> Phillippi.  Gerry Letourneau is shown, on page 70, standing on the entry
> step of a brand new triple axle '83 A/S and he is quoted extensively
> beginning on page 71.  According to Letourneau, he joined A/S in 1979 when
> the company was owned by Beatrice Foods.  The article mentioned his history
> of working for a Canadian firm that acquired distressed American companies
> in order to bring them back to financial stability.  Thor bought the company
> not long after Letourneau became president.  I don't know when he moved on.

I don't remember the date but I believe it was 3-4 years after Jerry
became president he was killed in an auto accident. I know it was before
1988 because that when I sold my 1973 31'. I was membership chairman of
the Georgia Unit and we had invited Jerry to attend one of our rallies at
Top of Georgia but he never made it. He and I attended college in Georgia.

> As to your '68, I doubt that Beatrice implemented any changes that quickly.
> My guess is that even the major body design change that was introduced in
> '69 was probably planned before Beatrice bought A/S.

I think you are probably correct. I'm not terribly concerned in any case.
How the trailer has been maintained in the intervening 32 years is a lot
more critical. The reassurance is good all the same.

Jim Greene
'68 Tradewind
Atlanta