[VAC] Re: Not all Airstreams are created equal.

Jim,
I looked off and on for several years, then got very serious about it last
year and finally purchased my 77 Excella in October.  I was primarily looking
in the '65 and newer range, with emphasis on '65 through '68 because of the
wonderful older AS look with the creature comforts and more updated living
space that seemed to be evolving rapidly in the sixties.  I had generally
thought that the early 60's and back were a bit primitive for my camping
taste (hope I am not stepping on too many toes here).  I missed out on a 68
Sovereign and was very disappointed,
My Excella is somewhat of a trade off - the quality is compromised in many
regards and I do like the solid wood cabinetry.  I am not thrilled about the
concept of tambour cabinet doors,  but I do like interior curvature that
comes with their use.  I also love the aluminum wheels that were available in
the 70's and the look that they give the unit.  The 70's brought about
dramatic change as RVing became extremely popular and competition caused AS
to include things like central vac, fully automatic 3-way refrig, pilotless
furnace, floor safe, etc to justify their stronghold as being the best
available.  I remember beeing a teenage RVer with the family and knowing that
the big blue stripe of an Excella really meant something - especially since
we didn't have one.
My point is that they all have their good and bad attributes, and each should
be recognized for their contribution to the Airstream mystique.

John