[VAC] Re: white top

Toby:

   I'm not aghast and don't mind in the least, but offer this observation.
Without having just reviewed anew photographs of the African Caravan, it was
my past impression that the painted tops were mostly, if not only, on
Airstream Company trailers pulled by Airstream Company trucks identifiable by
the logos on their doors.  It was my impression the company was testing the
effectiveness of painting trailer tops reflective white. I recall seeing one
trailer with just the center top section painted, another trailer with the
full top (full width) painted, and perhaps another trailer painted white
altogether.  White tops do not seem to have been offered after the trip as a
trailer option, suggesting to me the tests showed white paint was not as
effective as aluminum in reflecting light and heat.  That may not be a
concern far north of the equator, but may result in a slighter warmer trailer
when you venture south in the summer.  FWIW.

   Second thought: if you decide to paint the trailer roof white, you might
look into a thicker textureized light coating similar to a pickup bed liner,
to mitigate hail damage  Another FWIW.

Fred Coldwell
Denver, CO.