[VAC] Re: Fridges: RM2332, N300 / fridge ventilation

Robert / Susan Harper wrote:

> Questions re: your Dometic 2332 installation:
>
> -is the frame around the door metal or plastic? Looked like aluminum in the
> photo.  Can't find a good online photo of the N300 (Norcold). Anyone know on
> that model how much plastic shows outside? I know it has some tan painted
> metal which I figure I can paint as needed, but I'm not too keen on the
> plastic.

Plastic, lots of plastic!  Same with the Norcold.  The only steel parts
are hidden, and are what the plastic faceplate attach to.  The door has
an inner steel spine that the plastic frame attaches to.

> -why does Airstream use that ventilation system I see in yours with the
> molded fiberglass (?) part above your fridge? Is your plumbing vent in there
> too? My old fridge vent "exhaust" enters the wall below the countertop
> height and travels between skins to the roof vent (streetside galley).

The molded fiberglass duct started in the mid sixties as an engineering
improvement to avoid the condensation of the warmed air from the coils.
Don't know if it was considered bad enough to cause skin corrosion,
refer coil/burner rust or rotted floors, though.   Allowed insulation in
the walls too, instead of the open area required for the vent path.

> -I don't really have an exterior opening for "replacement air" behind the
> fridge, and was considering installing a louvered vent into the access door
> (can get square or round, alum. or s.s., secure w/ rivets/vulkem).
> Considering my hot climate (5 months in the 90's it seems), I may install a
> Fridge-Mate type fan to boost fridge performance. Any feedback from the
> group re: this subject and in/out ventilation openings/dimensions/locations
> appreciated.

I bet your intake air is from a screened opening in the floor behind the
fridge.  You can see it in the pictures.

I also noticed that Norcold changed to a white color for its plastic.
At least the brown passed for wood color....

Here is a good place to see both (other than in person).
http://www.rvcatalog.com

RJ