[VAC] Re: WBCCI MEMBERSHIP

I think some of the younger members of this group forget that the Airstream has always been an extremely high end trailer designed for two people to use for wintering in or full timing. They are now and always have been very expensive compared to other similarly equipped trailers.

In 1973 I spent the winter in Phoenix Az being trained by my company to repair Mainframe computers. I bought a 1973 Fan Luxury Liner with all the options such as a/c, awning etc. It cost 6250 dollars and I had to take a 3 year loan to pay for it. I had wanted an Airstream so bad I could taste it but it cost 11250 dollars fully equipped. The Airstream has always cost about twice as much as any other trailer. It may very well be worth it but until recently, the younger generation just couldn't even consider an Airstream. People looked at me as some rich kid as I had bought the Fan.

I was finally able to pick up that 1975 Airstream this past year. I had to pay the same for it used now, as I paid new for the Fan.

I am now 64 and retired and at this time in Tucson for the winter in a +55 RV Park. I am sympathetic to the concerns of the younger set of members, but I don't see many young people buying new Airstreams. This is what keeps the Thor co. in business. The younger set is buying vintage Airstreams which is great, but that does nothing for the future of the Airstream Trailer. It is still sold to older people who are retired and can afford the high price. The Blue Beret is sponsored by the Airstream co. and is primarily interested in satisfying the purchasers of new units. If sales of the new units stop, That will be the end of Airstream.

Just the facts of life In my humble opinion.

Dave Carr
WBCCI 2275
VAC