[VAC] Re: WBCCI MEMBERSHIP

-----------------
Note, I was intending to sent this off-list, but decided against it.
-----------------
Phil,
My wife and I are both 38. We also do not have children. We joined WBCCI 4
years ago after meeting a fiesty but friendly 80-something, single lady at a
campground who was a member of both the WBCCI and VAC. At that time we were
primary care givers for a terminally ill, house-bound parent who had given
up on life at the ripe old age of 68. We needed to see people older than
she, still active in life. Living it to the fullest even though some were
dealing with problems greater than my mother-in-law's. In short, at the very
beginning WBCCI was an emotional life line for us. It has become much more.
The friendships that we are developing are priceless. We thoroughly enjoy
hanging out with these older people and to our suprise we have learned that
the feeling is mutual. The things that they have experienced in life make
them very interesting to be around. If you decide that your local unit is
just too old and stuck in the mud, then you have the option of joining the
WDCU instead of (or in addition to) your local unit. They have a wide range
of members. This is the fastest growing unit within WBCCI, and with good
reason.

So if the first benefit is friendships with some top notch people, the
second would be full involvement with the VAC. The VAC's major activities
happen at the WBCCI's International Rally each year. You need to be a WBCCI
member to attend. Approx 70 vintage Airstreams and their owners gather here
each year. We all park together. What a sight! So many old Airstreams lined
up, one after another! The conversations. The restoration/moderinization
ideas! The seminars! The happy hours where we would all sit around chatting.
Touring through the trailers!

Our first experience caravanning into the Rally along with 50 to 60 other
VACers was a deeply emotional time for my wife and I as it is for many
people. We were no longer towing an old, seemingly worn out travel trailer.
We were towing a classy classic. And we were towing her home to where she
belonged.

Other benefits are Region rallies (a smaller version of the international
rally) and monthly rallies or luncheons held by the local units. These are
usually closer to home, thus ideal for those who still work and can only get
away for a weekend. Of course this requires that a local unit be located
somewhat close to where you live.

Scott Scheuermann
1960 Overlander