[VAC] Re: Still new to a '64 GlobeTrotter

When I bought my 1963 GT I had to rewire the trailer on site before I moved
it. I got the lights to work, but the brakes needed more than I could do
away from home. I towed the GT home with no brakes and no equalizer hitch.
We have some terrible hills here (10 percent grade) so I kept my speed down
to 40 MPH or so ...but I was worried about the old looking tires. The
trailer towed great. I can't say I noticed the lack of brakes, but I was
towing it with a 5200 pound vehicle. The hitch weight didn't sag the back of
my vehicle. I only towed it about 16 miles that way.
   My trailer was neglected for many years, which explains most of the
problems. The wiring plug did not match my car. I think trailer wiring is
pretty easy to figure out, so if you have a new plug for the trailer to
match the tow vehicle you can figure it out very easily. A helper to look at
what the trailer lights are doing helps a lot! Don't forget about the
battery in the trailer so the break-away switch will operate in case of the
trailer coming loose from the tow vehicle (gasp!). I had trouble getting the
tires on and off my GT, but I think that's a 1963 problem. The fit is too
tight between the wheel opening and the brake drum.
Good Luck!  I think you'll like the Globe Trotter!
MARC WEIMER
Punxsutawney, PA
#15767
1963 Globe Trotter